Author Topic: Army Baggage losses  (Read 19977 times)

william

Re: Army Baggage losses
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 01:39:33 PM »
I've only used mobile baggage once IIRC, but others have done so more often, and it seems to me that that the "best" mobile baggage is actually an irregular command without a general.

Baggage in a general's command takes a lot of PIPs away from the "real" troops, whereas a train command gets its own PIPs.  A regular train command almost always gets teh low PIPs, so nrarely has enough, but an irregular one gets a range from 1-6 PIPs/turn, and is often able to make a couple of march moves per turn - and often doing that for a few turns is all that is required to get out of trouble.

:) Good to see you on the ball Mike.

Any mobile baggage as part of a train command will only get a maximum of 2 moves, if F train in a  sub general or CinCs command it can move a few more times. Reg Bg(F) can move 4 times if in group with reg sub general ( and in his command ) with a 6, and 7 times with a doubled 6 so could move a good distance from danger. But who would turn down a good pip dump ;) .

William

landmeister

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 05:04:35 PM »
Now that Bagagge ME has been changed, I have a question related to the new army list calculator and I would like some confirmation. If I read correctly, if my 6 element Army Baggage (all Irr Bg) is sacked, I will lose 6 ME for the whole army and each command will lose 6 ME too. Isn't it a bit too much? But the situation with Reg Bg is even worse... :-\

Thank you

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
Nope. The army will lose 6 ME and the commands won't notice at all.

landmeister

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:07 AM »
But on page 43 is read that "..it adds its ME to its own command and to the baggage command (so counts twice towards the total army ME)."  ???

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Not sure why you think that means losses are applied to the contributing command, but the following sentence is explicit:
Its loss affects the morale only of troops aware of this, so its ME is then added to the losses of the command now including it, but not to that of a command that contributed it but does not include it (since this will not yet know of the loss and malnutrition is not retrospective).

landmeister

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »
Oooops. You're right!  :P So I don't understand the statement for double counting. What's that to be double counted?

LAP1964

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »
 :P So I don't understand the statement for double counting. What's that to be double counted?
If i have this correct,
6 Irr Bge = 6ME in the Army Baggage Command,and every command also gets 2 ME of Command Baggage. :)
LES  

landmeister

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »
Then I was almost right. If one army baggage command element is sacked, not only 1 ME is lost for the army, but all commands lose 1 ME too. So my question arises again. Can they lose up to 6 (12 if regular) ME if all army baggage is sacked?

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
Then I was almost right.
No, you were completely wrong. :p

Perhaps an example will help. Our Exemplarian army has three commands each of 20 ME of fighting troops. Each command also has two elements of Irr Bge pooled as an army baggage command.

Each fighting command thus has a total ME of 20+2=22.
The baggage command has 6 ME.
The total army ME is 22+22+22+6=72 (this is where the "double counting" comes in: each baggage element counts 1 ME twice, once for its parent command, once for the baggage command).

If now some evil Didactian horsemen destroy one of the baggage elements, the baggage command now has 5 ME left (and the army 71). The fighting commands still have 22 ME each - they're "unaware" that the baggage's been sacked.

Is that clearer?

LAP1964

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
Orcoteuthis,that is a great way to explain it. :).All you need to do is add 6 ME,to total army ME if you have Reg Bge,and take 1 extra ME off if 1 gets destroyed.
LES 

landmeister

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 08:16:01 AM »
Well, I have to admit I was completely wrong  ;D. A wonderfully clear example. Thank you.

By the way, do you know the las army list gneraton on the Yahoo list? It doesn't count command Bge, just army Bge. Is it bugged or I'm just missing something more about Bge?  :P

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 08:53:28 AM »
By the way, do you know the las army list gneraton on the Yahoo list? It doesn't count command Bge, just army Bge. Is it bugged or I'm just missing something more about Bge?  :P
I haven't looked at the thing, but it sounds like it's buggy. Command baggage works pretty much like any other element, ME-wise, adding its ME value (once) to that of the command.

landmeister

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
Ok. Thank you.