Author Topic: Element Basing  (Read 3251 times)

madmike1

Element Basing
« on: August 21, 2007, 03:59:02 AM »

Couple of observations:

Kn(X) ? looking at the size of what passes for a ?15mm? figure I can?t see how you could fit 4 Kn(X) on a single base. 

Wedge Kn(f) ? these have a deeper base than normal Knights.   Unfortunately none of the other DBx based rules systems uses the deeper base for Kn(F).

Do DBMM competition games enforce the above basing conventions?  i.e. would there be any problem using 3 figures to a base Kn(X) or wedge Kn(F) mounted as normal cav?         

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Element Basing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »
I've started doing my Parthian Essex cataphracts as 3 to a base so that they don't hang over the front and back of the base, which I find more irritating. With a Parthian army I really can't see a problem - you're hardly likely to mistake them for Horse Archers which are the only other thing in the army, so I would be very disappointed it an opponent refused to allow them (and probably glad not to be playing someone like that).

With some of the Chinese and Central Asian armies that can have cavalry as either Kn(F) or Kn(X) when they seem to have been pretty identical, it would be useful to have them all 3 to a base so you can morph them. The only problem I can see is when you have an army where some can be F and some X - its not really fair on your opponent to keep track of which are which, but so long as the F were on unarmoured horses, I really don't see a problem with the X being 3 to a base. They just look too crowded otherwise and there seems to have been a lot of discussion whether they really were more closely packed than other cavalry.

Toby

Aloysius the Gaul

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 02:24:27 AM »
"Proper" 15mm cataphract figures such as Peter Pig fit 4 to a base easily.

Blame the figure manufacturers for scale creep - not the rules!!

Generally people dont' worry too much about the conventions as long as whatever you have looks right - ie the 3-to-a-base cataphracts don't look like 3-to-a-bas cavalry or Kn(F). 

I often use regular or irregular Ax as the other for example, as long as they are either the only ax in eth army, or look completely different - eg my Spanish Ax for carthaginians are based 3 for irregulars for eth earlier period, but I'll use them as regulars for later too, since there is only ever reg OR irreg Spanish Auxilia in the army and they look completely different to all the Ligurian and Numidian Auxilia.

bunwin63

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 03:30:06 AM »
With regard to Kn(F) wedges, I've just rebased my Companions and they look great on the bigger base. ALL cavalry and knights should be based on 40 x 40 bases!

Bryan

Barritus

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:47 AM »
Couple of observations:

Kn(X) ? looking at the size of what passes for a ?15mm? figure I can?t see how you could fit 4 Kn(X) on a single base. 

My Chariot Miniatures LIR cataphracts fit four on a base, though it's tight.

Three on a base shouldn't be a major problem, except in the circumstances Toby describes. It also means more elements of cataphracts per bag of figures.

Wedge Kn(f) ? these have a deeper base than normal Knights.   Unfortunately none of the other DBx based rules systems uses the deeper base for Kn(F).

Do DBMM competition games enforce the above basing conventions?  i.e. would there be any problem using 3 figures to a base Kn(X) or wedge Kn(F) mounted as normal cav?         

The deeper Kn base matters, because it has other effects, such as how far the element recoils, or measuring distances when forming column from line. However, to maximise flexibility, I'd recommend putting the figures on the more common 40x30mm base, and sitting that on a 40x40mm base for DBMM.

Having said that, my experience of competition organisers is that they're fairly relaxed about troop representation, unless there are egregious inconsistencies. The best thing to do is to talk to them. My bet is that they won't care about 3-to-a-base cataphracts, unless (as Toby describes) your army also has Kn (F) which look similar, and they'll suggest a 40x40mm square of cardboard for the Kn (F) wedges.

madmike1

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 02:58:55 AM »
Blame the figure manufacturers for scale creep - not the rules!!

No need to be so defensive, if you read my post you will see that I wasn?t blaming the rules but the inflation in the size of 15mm figures. 

Otherwise thanks for the feedback everyone. 

Aloysius the Gaul

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 04:55:19 AM »
I wasn't being defensive - I was giving advice!!  ;D