Author Topic: I'm New, Sell DBMM to me.....  (Read 2724 times)

Patonius

I'm New, Sell DBMM to me.....
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:37:11 AM »
Played DBM years ago, got married, had kids, gaming distant memory.

Kids now older, wife starting to get sick of me, therefore giving me time for extenal interests again.....

Picked up my old DBM stuff, and low and behold, a bit of surfing the web, and found this lovely site. I plan on buying the DBMM rules late next week. Hoping for a bit of help to get my juices flowing before that...

Is the basing generally similar to DBM?
Are armies larger/smaller/same?
Average table size used?
Length of time (in hours)?
Are the rules suited for tournaments?
Will all the army lists covered in DBM be catered for in DBMM?
Will I get to game more if I get a divorce?

Cheers

Darren

Patonius

Re: I'm New, Sell DBMM to me.....
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 01:48:33 PM »
I certainly appreciate the time you spent with the reply. You have definately wetted my appetite. Have to pick up the rules ASAP.

I'll probably keep the wife. Don't want the lawyers to get my miniature money.

Cheers

Darren

loki223

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:43:34 PM »
I am still converting to DBMM and the BOOK 3 army list should be released any time now.

I and the wife have been playing the small 125 pt games and getting through them easy enough.

with help from people here.

She has Maccabean Jews and I have Mithridatic we also have Koryo Koreans and early Beduin.

in those smaller games having brilliant and inert Generals are really not an option and stragems can be messed with a  bit, but i suggest just getting the 125pt list together and some easy terrain to start with keep it simple and go from there.

125pt games are roughly 30-35 stands and only one general usually.

We have yet to escalate to bigger games but Looking at the options availible i wish i had more people here to play with... :-[

have fun and any questions are quickly answered here.

Patonius

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 01:48:35 AM »
I've asked a few questions around. Wanted to check a couple of things.

1) 80 paces is 4 cm...

2) Bows only shoot 240 paces, which is the equivelant of 1 inch less than in DBM...

3) If the above is true, how does that affect bows that now have less range to shoot their opponents...

4) Guessimating, when will Book 2 be released...

Cheers

Darren
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 01:50:58 AM by Patonius »

DaveMather

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:04:03 AM »
I've asked a few questions around. Wanted to check a couple of things.

1) 80 paces is 4 cm...    yes (in 15mm)

Yes - if scale is 15mm - 6cm if scale is 25/28mm

2) Bows only shoot 240 paces, which is the equivelant of 1 inch less than in DBM...

Dont remember how far they shot in DBM but yes its 240p in DBMM - 12cm in 15mm

3) If the above is true, how does that affect bows that now have less range to shoot their opponents...

The scale, ranges and factors along with outcomes have all changed - you need to play it to see (try starting with a DBMM100 type game as per the Appendix)

DBMM is a very different game - there are similarities but the overall game is very different - one of the difficulties is unlearning DBM

4) Guessimating, when will Book 2 be released...

Work began in Late March for Book 3 and is nearing publication - should see it in October I guess - Book 2 is next - a guesstimate of Feb/Mar/Apr next year if it follows a similar  timescale - the Sassanid "discussion" is shaping up to be a good one  ;)

Regards

David Mather

Patonius

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 08:36:15 AM »
Cheers...thanks for the answers. I was going to order a book two army to be professioanlly painted, but am hesitant to do so based on the DBM lists til I know what is going to be in the DBMM lists.

Something else I have just seen....Lh doesn't quick kill Kn....I dread to think what that means for my Numidian army that I am 1/2 way through...

Again, cheers.

Darren

DaveMather

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 08:44:54 AM »
I would hold fire on some armies - as there will certainly be change - the who will be SBW Kn(F) is one case

The draft Book 2 will come out soon - you will get access to that (and the current Book 3) on the Yahoo DBMMList if you are a member

LH have new tricks to exploit - - getting around flanks and hiting rears - hitting a rear is now very deadly

They deploy wide of most troops `

The can go further from their General without penalty

They have the spent rule in some cases which reduces the consequences of their "loss"

They are quite good at "mobbing" knights who have unprotected flank(s)/rear

The base factors are 3-2

Regards

David Mather