Author Topic: Trying to get players...  (Read 2927 times)

loki223

Trying to get players...
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
 :(

most of our DBM players have looked through the new set and are not very interested in relearning the new system.

any suggestions on how to get them to try it???

Suggestions please.

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to get players...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 06:30:37 PM »
baseball bats?

loki223

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 04:58:43 PM »
unfortunatley i think braindamage may result in slower learning curve...thanks though :D

There are rumors going around that the new rules are not being well recieved on the East coast (U.S.) and that they may not be adopted for tournament play.?.

How would this effect world standings and such?

not that I am ranked or anything but still interested in playing maybe a tourny here or there.

Barritus

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 05:50:10 AM »
There are rumors going around that the new rules are not being well recieved on the East coast (U.S.) and that they may not be adopted for tournament play.?.

If I was you, I'd contact people organising competitions and ask them to at least offer DBMM competitions. They may be surprised by how many people enter.

This is happening in Australia. The next comp I'll be playing (second weekend in June) in was DBM 3.1 last year. This year, the organiser offered both DBM 3.1 and DBMM. Then, about a fortnight ago, he announced that there wasn't going to be a DBM 3.1 competition - obviously there wasn't enough interest. The surprising thing is that previously there was little indication of much interest in DBMM outside Canberra (where I live) and Wollongong (where a DBMM competition was held over Easter).

As an organiser said a couple of months ago, players will vote with their feet.

How would this effect world standings and such?

You'd have to talk to the people who do ratings. Because the DBM and DBMM scoring systems are different, two possibilities come to mind. 1 - they start a new ratings system from scratch for all DBMM players, and 2 - for ratings purposes they convert all DBMM scores to an appropriate DBM score, and update the old rankings that way. For mine, the second system is overly complex, and requires a lot of extra record keeping, starting with the players, so I think the first system is more realistic.

not that I am ranked or anything but still interested in playing maybe a tourny here or there.

Well, keep the practice going. You'll probably have a bit of an advantage over DBM players who convert later, as their understanding of DBMM will be coloured by their DBM experiences, which will occasionally lead them to do things which are silly in DBMM (heck, I did plenty of that myself in my early DBMM days).

loki223

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 05:05:38 PM »
some sound advice all the way around.  thanks

Hammy

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
All the major BHGS events for the rest of this year and next year will be offering DBM, DBMM and Field of Glory comps. It is up to players to vote with their lead.

Yours

Hammy

Entered as a floating player between DBMM and FoG for Roll Call but alas now part of the Britcon organisation team so I won't be playing there :(

Aloysius the Gaul

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 03:51:59 AM »
How can you offer FOG comps when only a limited number of people (playtesters as approved by Sliterine) have the rules?

Hammy

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:15:15 AM »
A touch off topic but to answer the FoG question. Anyone who wants to participate in a FoG competition will have to join the beta program but I suspect that a request to slitherine to join and play in a comp will be very likely to be accepted.

FWIW the club I go to in Manchester has at least 10 players on the FoG beta program.