Author Topic: Building a palisade  (Read 3055 times)

Barritus

Building a palisade
« on: October 03, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Does anyone have any advice or ideas about building a palisade (to be useable as PF or TF)?

I'm planning on using toothpicks, so I'm most interested in ideas for standing them up and keeping them together. The two thoughts which come to mind are (a) standing the toothpicks up in a drying gel or glue of some sort, and (b) gluing solid material like cardboard either side of the toothpicks' intended location, thus creating a trench to place them in.

But I've never been much of a constructionist, so I'm keen to exploit any bright ideas people might have.

Cheers

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Building a palisade
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
I was thinking of using toothpicks as well for palisades, or at least the top end of them. I use the 2mm thick mdf bases though, so I was going to drill holes through the base at an angle to push the ends into.

LawrenceG

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 12:26:16 PM »
I've used cut down cocktail sticks embedded in a "bank" made of filler. 

Tim Child

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:31:54 AM »
Or even better use something like Milliput or Green Stuff for the bank.  I made a base of Milliput for my archers' stakes (25mm 100YW English) and was able to push two rows of pointy sticks in to hold very nicely even before the Milliput dried, and they were going in at about 45 degrees, rather than straight.

Tim Child

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:18:44 AM »
I long ago made a palisade out of broken matches stuck in blu-tack covered with PVA. It's survived being dropped into the floor a number of times over the years without visible damage. (the matches are glued to one another too, which increases sturdiness)