Author Topic: Ch'in Army 2/4 tactics  (Read 1972 times)

HestonFan23

Ch'in Army 2/4 tactics
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
What do I do with this army?  The combination of Bw and Bd / Aux make it hard to determine a battle plan. 
CiC, 2iC, 3iC Reg Kn (O)
Reg Bge (I) x 6
Reg Kn (O) x 4
Irr Lh (F) x 8
Ditches TF x 6

Reg Bw (O) x 12
Reg Aux (S) x 3
Reg Bd (O) x 3

Irr Bw (I) x 12
Irr Aux (O) x 12
Irr Bd (I) x 12
Irr Hd (O) x 9 

I went with a less drilled army.  The description of the Ch'in forces said the only thing separating elite and conscripts units is marching and drill.  It seemed weird to make the conscripts have the Regular status.  I understand I have a very small elite core and a large mass of untrained militia.  In game terms I am not sure how to field this army and divide it up into three commands. 

Any thoughts?

LawrenceG1

Re: Ch'in Army 2/4 tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »
Well, you have a lot of clumsy troops, so you want to try to set the terrain in such a way that you know where the enemy will be. And you might want most, or all, of them in the CinC's command so he can use his free PIP to move them.

Nearly all your troops like rough going, so use plenty of that in terrain selection.

You have few troops that can win quickly frontally and they are not particularly tough, so you will probably win by going round the flanks with the Auxilia and light horse. The LH have a long command range, so probably best to put them in the CinC's command with the high PIP dice.

A line of 24 Bw all shooting can make it difficult for the enemy to contact you and don't need many PIPs once they get into range. Therefore you could use a big bow command with the low PIP dice and move them initially with the high PIP CinC to get them into position.

You only have a few knights, so they could be kept in reserve and moved to where they will deliver the decisive blow at the critical time.

Overall you have a big frontage so you probably want to pressure the enemy over his whole frontage with the Bd and Bw, threaten his flanks with the LH and Ax and punch through at the weakest point with the knights.

There are a number of tricky decisions, such as do you put the Irr Bw with the CinC or the PIP dump? What do you do with the TFs?  How do you exploit the Bd/Bw interpenetration? So you will have to play a few games to find out what works.

I'd be inclined to start with something like:

CinC high dice,  Bd+LH
Sub middle dice, Kn + Ax
Sub low dice Bw

or

CinC, Irr Bw+Bd, Kn, LH
Sub Reg foot + some Irr Ax
Sub Irr Ax

and adjust from there based on game experience.