Author Topic: Hellenistic Greek list  (Read 1566 times)

Barritus

Hellenistic Greek list
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:57:41 PM »
I had a lot of fun using the Hellenistic Greeks in DBM, as Aitolians, by loading the table with masses of difficult terrain then sailing through it with masses of psiloi.

It's not quite as good now with not quite as much terrain available, but there are still some interesting options.

Anyway, as I read the list again, something occurs to me - is it possible to include contingents from different cities under different sub-generals? The reason I ask is that the list notes point out how Aitolians can be used either as mercenaries or under their own general. Also, most state-specific options are simply listed as being available to that state, but the Spartan artillery and Achaian brilliant general are both only available if the army's C-in-C is from the respective state. The fact that the list therefore appears to draw a distinction between two ways of being available makes me wonder whether it's therefore possible to field an army with (say) an Achaian C-in-C, an Athenian sub and an Aitolian sub.

Any thoughts (and references to discussions on the email list) would be welcome.

Cheers

Peter B

Orcoteuthis

Re: Hellenistic Greek list
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 06:10:15 AM »
I think you can only have troops of a different state than the CinC if specifically allowed for, like the Aetolian cavalry allowed to Elis, Sparta, and Boeotia. But like in too many lists, the intention is less than clear. The fact that some options are restricted to a C-in-C of a given state (e.g. Spartan phalangites) could certainly be read as implying that others that are given restrictions like "Only if Eleian" can, somehow, be used in armies with a non-Eleian C-in-C; but I incline to think it's just Phil being inconsistent again.