General Category > Competitions

Cancon 2019

(1/1)

Barritus:
26 to 28 January 2019 at Exhibition Park In Canberra

https://cgs.asn.au/cancon/tournaments-2/

The competition will feature 6 rounds, each lasting 3h 30m +/- 10m.

Armies to be chosen from any list dated 3000BC to 1525AD, consisting of 400AP, plus 10AP only for stratagems.

Organiser: Peter Barrett (peter DOT barritus AT yahoo DOT com DOT au)

I strongly recommend you enter as soon as possible. There are about 900 spaces available for ALL competitions at Cancon, and already more than 400 people have entered. If you wait too long you will almost certainly miss out, regardless of whether you've booked your accommodation and transport.

Barritus:
Final results for the comp are:

Aaron Russell (Dynastic Bedouin - Hamdanids of Mosul): 100
Charles Watson (Ottoman): 95
Lawrence Greaves (Khurasanian - Saffarid): 91
Craig Stevenson (Hunnic - Attila): 78
Dave Quilty (Alexandrian Macedonian - Alexander): 77
Zach Russell (Bosporan): 77
Greg Russell (Late Imperial Roman - East - Constantius II): 76
Anton Verster (Early Spanish - Iberian): 72
* Michael Stone (Norman - Duke William 1066): 72 (2 games)
* Nick Rogers (Medieval Vietnamese): 72 (2 games)
Karl Hamlyn (French Ordonnance): 52
* Dave Turner (Early Russian): 43 (4 games)
* Tim Montgomery (Lithuanian): 39 (2 games)

* Played only part of the competition, and scores include notional points for the purpose of calculating the draw.

People following the competition may remember that scores at the end of day 2 were quite close. But then in round 5 Aaron, Charles and Lawrence all scored 25-0 wins to race ahead of the rest of the field.

The final round saw more draws at the top of the table, while Craig and Dave Q scored 25-0 wins to leap up to 4th and equal-5th place.

Karl made a determined bid for the Umpire's Choice award by losing three generals in the last two rounds to 6-1 dice rolls in combat (in the process copping two 0-25 defeats). But in the end I decided to award it to Michael Stone for successfully killing a Vietnamese elephant the hard way - in close combat with a knight (okay, there was a Ps in the elephant's flank, but still...!).

Cancon this year saw a lot more draws than in previous years. In fact about two-thirds of games remained incomplete when time was called. This was despite both points and game length being unchanged from previous years. The likely factors include: a couple of the more aggressive players didn't play this year; quite a few players brought large and/or slow armies, dominated by Cv, LH and Ax, but few Kn; and players were wary of some special weapons.

In terms of army size, Greg R's LIR with inert Constantius II (and Arab allies) totaled 105.5ME, and Anton's Iberians were 103ME. Two-thirds of the armies contained more than 65 individual elements (Anton's was the largest at 91).

The special weapons included: Anton's flamin' ox carts, which a lot of opponents spent a lot of PIPs attempting to avoid; the seven Art (F) fielded by Greg and Zach Russell between them; Charles's Serbian Kn (S); and the elephants of Nick's Vietnamese, who happened to face a couple of wary artillery-free opponents.

There were a few rules issues, some of which weren't addressed by the rules, the illustrations or the commentary. There were also a few rules errors made by the players which weren't picked up until after games had finished, and which would have altered game results. But the games were played in good spirit and there weren't too many questions for me to rule on. Thanks to Lawrence for his willingness to provide some guidance to me in the trickier cases.

Thanks to everyone who was willing to travel for the comp (Rockhampton to Canberra is 1500 kilometres folks), thanks to the "Canberra Four" who agreed to tag-team their games in such a way that I was able to avoid byes, and thanks to our sponsor Olympian Games.

Next comp will be a 200AP themed one-day comp, probably in May.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version