Author Topic: marching  (Read 21285 times)

landmeister

Re: marching
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 12:22:31 PM »
There is a clarification about in on the http://www.dbmm.org.uk website that tries to explain it better but it is still proving to be open to many interpretations.

IMHO the intention is that you can march up to (and contact) smaller groups that are directly in front of your group provided there is no-one else around.

I've read the clarification, but what happens to individual elements making marches? Please, look at the diagram enclosed. My element is the grey one. Let's consider three scenarios:

1) The initial position is as drawn. I can move my last march into contact to the white element's rear. Is it legal?
2) Now my element is 3 cm rightwards, so that the rear's element is in my straight ahead path.
3) Now the same but 2 cm leftwards, so the the right flank of the other enemy element is contacted.

Theoretically, a single element correctly "lined up" can march into contact against any enemy flank or rear. Correct?

Thank you.

DaveMather

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 09:04:59 AM »
Having discussed this recently with Phil (at Slimbridge) I do not believe the grey element can march into the rear as there are 2 elements that it will not contact within 400 paces

In essence you must contact all elements within 400p with the march move (other than LH or Ps) - this includes front ranks of 2 deep or more formations

You will find that marching into flank or rear is thus a rare occurence

Below is the situation Phil "ruled" on - Our Ghaznavid Ghulams (the end couple where the 6 on the die is) could not march into the flank of the archers (Bw) due to the mass of Norman Knights within 400 paces even though their flank was exposed

The others could not march owing to the presence of the Norman Bw&Sp within 400paces - as illustrated by the coloured stick (or the Norman Knights or foot)

Regards

David Mather
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:42:11 AM by DaveMather »

landmeister

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »
Ok. I see. Thank you very much.  ;)

landmeister

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 10:03:04 AM »
Hi again Dave,

Just a final clarification. What would happen if the grey element were 2 cm rightwards? Then the only element within 400 p straight ahead would be the one offering its rear. The other two elements can't be contacted under such initial position.

Thank you.

DaveMather

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2008, 06:21:34 PM »
Hi again Dave,

Just a final clarification. What would happen if the grey element were 2 cm rightwards? Then the only element within 400 p straight ahead would be the one offering its rear. The other two elements can't be contacted under such initial position.

Thank you.

If the two elements are within 400paces (and not Lh or Ps) then they in my opinion would prevent the march move

Regards

David Mather

landmeister

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
Sorry Dave, but let me be extremely precise. Do you mean 400 p all around or just 400 straight ahead? In this second case the other two elements are not "within 400 p", so the contact would be legal. Is this what you mean?

Thank you.

DaveMather

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 11:41:09 AM »
Sorry Dave, but let me be extremely precise. Do you mean 400 p all around or just 400 straight ahead? In this second case the other two elements are not "within 400 p", so the contact would be legal. Is this what you mean?

Thank you.

For me now you have to contact all figures with the move - any other figures within 400 paces will stop the march move

So to answer your question - 400p all round

Hence marching into rear or flank will be fairly rare
Given troops turn to face flank attacks or rear attacks if by march (see p35 5th para) its not that big a deal anyway

Regards

David Mather

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 11:46:00 AM by DaveMather »

landmeister

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
Ok. Thank you very much.  :)

landmeister

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »
Marching again...  ;D

I know this already was under 1.0 too, but haven't thought about it until one of my "lawyer" friends asked to me. Can a march move be made after an expansion from a formed column or turning 90? from a formed column? I was sure the answer was yes in both cases, but one of them pointed out that in both cases the group does not move at full speed, so no following marches can be made.

Looking at page 29 I see that contracting into column is the only group move in which "...up to the full tactical move distance..." is specified. Have I being playing wrong for more than 3 years?  :-[

Thank you in advance

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2010, 11:41:27 AM »
I've certainly always played it that an expansion or contraction counts as a full move and therefore can be followed by another march move. No one has ever pulled me up on it.

lorenzomele

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 01:08:55 PM »
Page 28 Marching section:

"All but the final march move .......... must be full distance"

Page 29 line 1:

"An entire ........... full lenght march move can be instead used to change formation by: (dot 1) expanfing from column ...........(dot 3) turning 90 from a straight line"
So expanding or contracting is a full march move and can be followed by more arch moves.

Advice: read the rules  :)

landmeister

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Dear Lorenzo,

Once again, you are my salvation.  ;D :P

Thank you very much...again.