Author Topic: Kn(I)  (Read 9957 times)

bunwin63

Kn(I)
« on: August 26, 2007, 02:30:52 AM »
Is it a good idea to NOT have them in your army? Or at least if you do have them, avoid fighting anything better than sp(i) with them? At 2ME, the brittleness of inferior rating strikes me as dangerous.

Thinking about filling out my LAP army with them.

Bryan

Barritus

Re: Kn(I)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:44:52 AM »
They're cheap, and they're 2 ME. This makes them ideal filler. The best way to use them would be to have them as a reserve, and only deploy them if absolutely necessary - perhaps individually to fill gaps left by losses in the front line. That way, they shouldn't be overlapped that often, and may get a couple of cheap kills.

I certainly don't see them as troops to lead an attack with, at least at the moment.

I have plans for a Classical Indian army which makes use of them in their chariot version. Even cheaper cost for the 2 ME! Of course, that relies on them actually surviving the list development process.

bunwin63

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:05:45 AM »
Thanks Peter.

I'm a bit dirty about the proposed change of Indian WWg to KnI chariots. not because I disagree with the classification, but because I have a nice Museum bullock-drawn wwg which wouldn't fit on a 40mm deep base.

Bryan

Doug M.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:55:36 AM »
Tell everybody it's on a 40mm deep base, and play as though it was.

I know lots of people (including me) couldn't fit Essex 4 horse Heavy chariots e.g. Neo-Babylonian, Neo-Sargonid onto 40mm deep bases, so we mounted them on 50's or 60's and just treated them as 40mm deep. The only time it is an issue is if they turn into a 40mm wide gap, so just keep a piece of 40 x 40 card and replace the model with that in this case.

Doug

bunwin63

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:02:30 AM »
Will do.

thanks Doug

Bryan

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 05:31:50 PM »
The wedged versions that you get some of in LAP might be reasonable in combat since they won't get overlapped.

bunwin63

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:12:24 AM »
Can't see these in Appendix IV....?

DaveMather

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 03:48:17 PM »
Its the Massagetae

From the LAP list - Satrapal guard, Armenians, Kappadokians, Bactrians or Massagetae - Irr Cv (S) 0-8

From the Skythian list we get that the Massagetae are Central Asian Skythians who have noble cavalry on armoured horses Irr Cv (S)

and from Appendix IV

Skythian Cv (S) and Thracian Cv(O) become Kn (I) and are required to be in a single-based wedge.

So at the moment you have the potential to field up to 8 elements of Kn(I) SBW Massagetae

This may change soon (suspect the number of SBW will reduce but to what is unknown) when the Book 2 revision begins - I certainly would not rebase 8 elements just yet.

Regards

David Mather

bunwin63

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 03:37:48 AM »
Of course, silly of me to have missed it !  :o

So these interim changes apply to those named types in any army, not just their "home" army.

Thanks Dave

Bryan

SG

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
1) DBE Kn(I), such as Medieval Germans, cannot be overlapped - they always fight on +3/+4 in that respect

2) Mandatory DBE rear ranks are not counted as MEs

3) Knights are no more compelled to pursue pushed-back or destroyed foot on enemy turn - they can keep ranks if they want

4) Most Medieval single element Kn(I) can be dismounted as the most lethal foot around nowadays - Bd(S). (Careful with that poleaxe, Eugene!)

5) Irregular Kn(I) are not impetuous and therefore not a C3 liability

6) They are still knights and get quick kills against Cv and foot on their turn

7) Knights are no more quick-killed by LH or Bw(S), so you have nobody to really fear anymore

8) If the first line breaks, even Kn(I) can make difference between loss and victory

9) You have psiloi to deal with those heffalumps anyway

10) At 8 points apiece, Irr Kn(I) is the cheapest morale around.

Doug M.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 02:32:43 AM »
But will die horribly to Cv(S)

cheers

Doug

SG

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 08:15:55 AM »
But will die horribly to Cv(S)

cheers

Doug

No, they won't. They have quick-kills against Cv(S) on their own bound (+3 vs +4 effective), which means Kn(I) will slay Cv(S) 10:36 on their turn and Cv(S) will kill Kn(I) only on 7:36 both turns. They are fairly evenly matched altogether.

If you fight dismounted, Kn(I) dismounts usually as Bd(S) which will make kebab out of Cv(S) at +4 vs +3.

Doug M.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 11:33:12 AM »
Isn't it  -2 for the Kn in the Cav bound...  I mean - I could be wrong.. but check it and see..

regards

Doug

SG

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »
Isn't it  -2 for the Kn in the Cav bound...  I mean - I could be wrong.. but check it and see..

regards

Doug

You're right - they are (S) vs mounted.

Well, when the going gets tough - dismount! At 8 AP, Irr Kn(I) which can be dismounted as Bd(S), such as Burgundians, is a bargain.

Hammy

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
If you fight dismounted, Kn(I) dismounts usually as Bd(S) which will make kebab out of Cv(S) at +4 vs +3.

Aren't Cv +4 vs foot?