Author Topic: Irregular Bd (I) or Irregular Ax (S)?  (Read 2201 times)

Toady

• Hd(I)
    • View Profile
Irregular Bd (I) or Irregular Ax (S)?
« on: October 07, 2020, 01:14:57 AM »
Hey All,
I basing up a Patrician Roman army bk 2 and can’t decide on having my foederates as BdI or AxS. Of course the bases are different so its a one way trip...
I’m assuming Ax S are the way to go as only play versus historical opponents, so will be matched up against lots of Wb.... I’ve always hated inferior troop types......

Interested on peoples views

Cheers

Fon Tok Nak

• Hd(I)
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular Bd (I) or Irregular Ax (S)?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 06:22:04 AM »
I'd be thinking along the lines that Bd and Wb quick kill each other in their respective bounds, so the Bd being I generally doesn't matter much - getting the first hit becomes very important and the fight is over quickly.

Ax and Wb don't quick kill each other, so I would expect the fight to be more drawn out.

Also, Ax move more freely, but irreg Bd require two PIPs for anything other than straight ahead. There again, if upgraded to reg, it's easier to get out of the way or stop short or hard flank a Wb column and kill two at a time.

Consequently, I would do some tests/simulations first, then decide which I liked most and base accordingly.

Anthony

Toady

• Hd(I)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 01:23:58 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts
Yes I guess in a pat Roman army the foederates are mainly to occupy the centre of the line, so Bd I would be better. QK warband and also get a second rank against Kn.
One would use the more manoeuvrable regulars on the flanks. I’m trending more towards Bd. I see what you mean re I status, makes no difference against Wb as are QK anyway if they lose

LawrenceG1

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 06:58:27 PM »
I made up some Franks etc to use as warband(O) but they can also be used as Bd(I) Foederati and I made some magnetic sabot bases so I can use them as Ax(S) too.

FWIW I have mostly used them as warband and sometimes as auxilia, but that is due to my playing style. Bd(I) would be a better choice than Ax(S) if you like a straight-up fight that is over quickly one way or the other.

Mars

• Hd(I)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 02:57:21 AM »
I made up some Franks etc to use as warband(O) but they can also be used as Bd(I) Foederati and I made some magnetic sabot bases so I can use them as Ax(S) too.

I'm guessing the sabot bases are merely to convert the 15mm bases to 20mm in the case of the Bd(I) being used as Ax(S)?  Had a quick panic when I read that initially, thought there was some double based element rule I'd missed for Ax(S), panic merely because the bases I have ordered have just been shipped LOL.

LawrenceG1

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 11:56:10 AM »
Yes, that's right.

Figures are on 40x15 mm bases with "steel paper" on the bottoms.

Sabots are a thin sheet of magnetic material 40x20 mm with a 5 mm built-up-and-flocked section

Mars

• Hd(I)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 04:05:59 AM »
Thanks.  Never thought of that, will have to see if I can track down some steel bases, even if it means having to ship them.  I did actually try a whole army bases on steel bases years ago, wasn't actually keen on them in all honesty but as sabot bases for pikes or adaptors in this way they would be ideal, lacking the height of MDF.

LawrenceG1

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »
Yes, having some 40x60 bases speeds up moving the phalanx considerably.

Mars

• Hd(I)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 10:49:45 AM »
Yes I'm definitely planning a few sabot bases.