Author Topic: Artillery shooting from a PF tower  (Read 652 times)

Barritus

• Kn(S)
    • View Profile
Artillery shooting from a PF tower
« on: September 06, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »
On page 11 it says that Art in a PF which are to shoot out must be in a tower.

On page 12 the costing example strongly suggests towers are square.

On page 34 it says that any edge of an element in a PF tower can be the shooting edge, and that an element is a valid target if any part of it is visible within half a base width of straight ahead of any part of the shooting edge.

Put all this together, and it appears that elements approaching from a 45 degree angle towards a tower's corner are pretty much untouchable by shooting until they come within half a base width of the tower, at which point they're only one move away from contacting.

Something about that doesn't seem right.

Have I got the rules right, or is there something I'm missing?

Cheers

Peter

Fon Tok Nak

• Hd(I)
    • View Profile
Re: Artillery shooting from a PF tower
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 06:29:29 PM »
Peter,

I have asked much the same thing.

Please see this thread at https://groups.io/g/DBMMlist.

https://groups.io/g/DBMMlist/topic/68758162#521

If you join that group and search for 'buaf on a hill' you will find a discussion of your point.

I think the consensus is that towers have blind spots whether this was intended or not. There are also some comments on if and how Art can pivot in a tower.

Personally, I think Art should not have a 360 arc of fire. I think it is already generous to allow fire in four directions when it is facing only one. However, I think it would be reasonable to allow it to *rotate* in a tower (for 2 or 3 PIPs) to shoot at something approaching at 45. At present within the rules, it is only possible to pivot forward, effectively preventing movement within most towers.

In short, I believe you have the rules right.

Anthony