General Category > Rules Questions

Threat Zone Question - how far exactly?

(1/4) > >>

andrew:
Hi

Exactly how far does the threat zone extend?  I'm sick of getting into debates over this and would like some clarification.

The "threat zone" rules on page 32 state : "The space immediately..is called the threat zone.  It extends 80 paces directly forward of the...front edge."

Note also figure 10a on page 55.  The 3 pikemen labelled A, B and C are caught in the threat zone of Blade X.  Now what if there is a pikeman D lined up behind pikeman C?  Is he caught in the threat zone?  Some argue his front edge is at 80 paces.

The same situation would apply if a line of LH were contacted in the flank, is the LH on the other side of the LH that was contacted on the flank caught in the TZ?

Some seem to think so because in both cases the element in question is "at" 80 paces and the edges occupy the same space on the table.  Personally I think this is a physical and theoretical impossibility for two different elements to occupy the same space at the same time.  In both cases I think the 80 paces is "consumed" or "used up" such that a pikemen D is not in the TZ.  Similarly, I don't think the next LH is in the TZ either (i.e. the next one over from the one contacted in the flank).

Does anyone have any opinions or an official clarification?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

DaveMather:

--- Quote from: andrew on December 23, 2007, 08:57:42 AM ---

Does anyone have any opinions or an official clarification?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

--- End quote ---

Try the clarification section of the main site http://dbmm.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=42

Regards

David Mather

toby:
This is a subtle distinction.

If you move up to 80 paces you have reached the TZ, and are constrained by it.

Beyond there you have entered the TZ, and are constrained by it.

If you start your move withing 80 paces you are starting in it, and are constrained by it.

If you start your move at 80 paces you are at the edge of the TZ, but are not TZ'ed - you have not reached, entered or started in it.

[Correction - this was the situation in DBMM v1. In DBMM v2 you are in the threat zone if you are at 80 paces]

andrew:

--- Quote from: Toby Partridge on December 23, 2007, 04:28:32 PM ---If you start you move at 80 paces you are at the edge of the TZ, but are not TZ'ed - you have not reached, entered or started in it.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for responding guys.  I'm not sure how I missed that clarification..... :-[

So if I am interpreting this last sentence correctly (which seems to be the relative section), the theoretical 4th pikeman 'D' (per diagram 10a) does not start his move in a TZ (assuming no other elements come into play).  Is that correct?

And per my other example of a LH whose mate has been contacted in the flank, is he also not constrained by the TZ?  If I try to draw a diagram, will LH2 be constrained by the TZ of Cv1 if he tries to move forward?  Similarly will he be constrained by the TZ of Cv3 if he tries to move backwards?  And if I am reading your interpretation correctly, then the Cv2 TZ currently has no effect on LH2.

Thanks
Andrew

Platypus:
I agree that LH2 is not in the TZ of Cv 2.

Given that he base of LH 1 is (theoretically, and not withstanding the Gods of Chaos and Base Cutting) 80p wide, then the base of LH 2 must be >80p away from Cv 2.

G^is,
JohnG

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version