Author Topic: Selucid list for DBMM200  (Read 5792 times)

hanleygreen

Selucid list for DBMM200
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:58:59 AM »
Haveing purchased an Alexandrian Imperial for DBA, I want to move up in size to 200 points has anyone used a 200 point Selucid army,
also 200 AP Late Archemenid Persians. (I will be playing solo)

Regards

Mike L

Orcoteuthis

Re: Selucid list for DBMM200
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:18:21 AM »
I've used a Seleucid 200 AP army. I don't recall the exact composition, but it had two wings of cataphracts supported by nellies and light troops, and a centre of four agyraspides (incl sub-general) and eight normal phalangites.

Dunno if it was very optimal or anything, but it was reasonably successful.

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »
LAP is a very easy army to construct at any size because it has effectively no minima (I think its now 4 Cv(O)). So you aren't hampered at 200AP by lots of little dribs and drabs of stuff. There are also some very nice figures for it from Xyston. I'm still experimenting on working out a good structure for it - my problem is that I really like all the random infantry figures (Persian levy, Egyptian spearmen) but I think that the mounted version is better - lots of Cv(O), LH(O), LH(F), both the Reg Kn(I) and some of the Irr Kn(I) as a bit of punch. I would avoid the Exp(O) at 200AP as the Unusual Troops strategem will be proportionately more expensive. Some of the Ax(O) are also useful for contesting rough going (and the Reg Ax(O) are useful for DGo as they will not be inept while opposing irregulars will be).

LAP1964

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
LAP is a very easy army to construct at any size because it has effectively no minima (I think its now 4 Cv(O)).  I would avoid the Exp(O) at 200AP as the Unusual Troops strategem will be proportionately more expensive..

"Scythed chariots were a standard part of the army,so need not be part of an Unusual Troops Stratagem".If you use Darius III,the minima is -2 :o
LES

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
Yes, but I feel that they need Unusual Troops to really make most use of them, otherwise they end up facing bad-matchups. Their main purpose is to distract your opponent in the first couple of turns, rather than in the deployment phase.

Barritus

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
.If you use Darius III,the minima is -2 :o
LES
What do you mean by this? What is a negative minimum?

LAP1964

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 02:25:41 PM »
.If you use Darius III,the minima is -2 :o
LES
What do you mean by this? What is a negative minimum?
Darius III -inert Gen Reg Cv(O) @-48AP  1
Persian ally-gen- Reg Cv(O) @18AP        1-2
Persian cavalry - Irr Cv(O) @7AP            4-18
That is all the compulsories for a LAP :o
LES
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:28:07 PM by LAP1964 »

hanleygreen

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »
Thanks all for the input,
Looks like I need to put some time in on AAR's
I have all the old WRG  books so I'll need some Osprey MAA's

Regards

Mike L

PatG

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »
What was your final decision Offa?

hanleygreen

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 11:51:04 PM »
Hi Pat,
Well, I went to Sheffield Triples last Saturday.
The only Ancient game that I saw was DBA.
As far as Traders went, I could buy a DBA army (and did, a Late Visigoth army fram Magister Militum).
I could buy Units, and probably an army, for one other rule set.
No help atall from traders with DBMM.
Seems odd, If I was selling figures, I would have basic lists for all the major rules.

To answer your question, I'm going forAlexander and the Succesors.
Years ago I bought some Mikes Models for a club campaign that never got off the ground.

The only thing I'll be short of is Command elements and Artillery.

To help in learning the rules, I'm painting 2 DBMM 100 successor armies then build from there.

Base them, undercoat, then paint and play so to speak.

I want to build a 400AP Army in 6 weeks.

Mike.

PatG

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 11:42:04 AM »
Sounds like a plan. Successors are always good to face off against each other. I have a DBAs worth of 6mm Macedonians to be based up on 25mm frontages. The numbers will be expanded but the basing limits me to 400 points (when the budget comes available) so I am very interested in low points lists. I also have Marians on the same basing and my mate is doing up Thracians so we will have a nice mix for flexible match ups.

I think the problem with traders providing lists is the time and effort involved to put them together. DBA is about the only set I know that is popular enough and the variations are limited enough to make this worthwhile. I look at the DBA pre-packaged armies as 100 point "bites" to be fleshed out as required.

100 is a great game - all the speed of DBA with lots more chrome and most importantly - variable army sizes.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Pat

hanleygreen

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »
Pat, I think you're right about the traders ready made armies, although the rules that we can't mention (should I call them "The Scottish Rules"?) has a starter list and traders are providing starter armies for them.

DBMM has the Minima and maxima but no general guide lines. at least for the moment I'm painting what figures I have, so it's more a matter of time wasted if I paint the wrong figures, rather than cash. ah well back to the work bench.

Mike