Author Topic: MK Campaign results - Team challenge Pinner versus The All Stars (May12th 2007)  (Read 4411 times)

DaveMather

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
Saturday saw the first club competition for DBMM in the UK with representation at the National League event hosted annually by Milton Keynes.

Only two teams were present - The Pinner team of David Mather, Dave Pallin and Mark Schofield took on the All Stars team of Alec Harvey, Tony Dennis and Jonathan Crowe.  Mark and Jonathan were relative newcomers to DBMM (in fact it was Jonathan's first actual game).

Over 6 keenly contested games at 400AP with 15mm on a 6' x 4' -the Pinner team emerged victorious by

Pinner 83 All Stars 67

The armies were as follows

Pinner

David Mather - Hittite Empire - 1274BC - Muwatallis
Dave Pallin - Early Imperial Roman
Mark Schofield - Early Byzantine

All Stars

Tony Dennis - Marian Roman
Alec Harvey - Hun (Gepid ally)
Jonathan Crowe - Siamese (Burmese ally)

Round 1 panned out as follows

Hittites 10 Huns 15

The Huns came hard and fast at the Hittite right flank and quickly broke through the Kn chariots - that (S) dont half hurt - and this command soon broke - but the Gepids were broken by the Hittite infantry - the Huns had flank marched on the Hittite right and had a small command in ambush in the large wood (with a Guide stratagem giving them a possible quick exit) but the Hittites never got far enough to trigger the trap.

Muwatallis died surrounded by Huns but the Hittites held on to salvage a losing draw -

Early Imperial Romans 15 Siamese 10

This was Jonathan's first game - his elephants and warbands swept forward and were met by the Roman Auxilia who gradually wore them down - although at the expense of the Auxilia -

Early Byzantine 15 Marian Roman 10

A winning draw for the Early Byzantines - I believe the Roman Bd(S) lost out to the Byzantine Bd(I) :o

So at the half stage Pinner lead by 40 points to 35 - all to play for in the afternoon

Round 2
Hittite Empire 15 Siamese 10

An intriguing game - the Burmese deployed in the centre became unreliable on turn 1 and despite the promotion and slaughter of a couple of Crown Princes refused to take part.

The Hittite chariots swept out of the fields on their left and attacked the end of the Siamese line - after almost sweeping the hostages away and exposing the flank they were unable to capitalise as the Siamese general and his elephant friend carved a wake of chaos through the Hittite chariots - finally breaking the chariot command. Eventually the Hittite pike caught and killed the Siamese general and broke that command  - in the centre nothing much happened as the massed Hittite horde (having seen what the El(O) did I was terrified of the El(S)) stayed the necessary distance away from the Burmese ally.  On the Hittite right an initial success against the Siamese warband and Cav was running out of steam and numbers were beginning to tell as the Cv(S) chariots were slowly wittled away - with both commands on this side disheartened - it was up to the Hittite sub general to charge into some Bw(I) for the 1 Me needed to win the game - although the Hittite body count was large enough to make it just a 15-10.

Early Byzantine 14 Huns 11

This game saw the clash of the 2 Light Horse armies with the Byzantines just shading it when last bound was called -

Early Imperial Roman 14 Marian Roman 11

The clash of the parade ground masters saw the Marians shaded out by their descendents  - some intricate manouevering at the begin before the 2 lines clashed. From Dave's perspective his most glorious moment was his Equites Cohortae Cv(I) taking out two Marian Blade (S) in a single turn and opening a gap that lead to an elephant and another Bd(S) going down. Thus disheartening the second command and giving him the edge 14-11. Victrix Traiano.

With all the games in,  Pinner were declared the winners by 83 pts to 67 pts

Dave and Mark pick up their trophies from Neil Sutherland 

and the All Stars - Jonathan, Tony and Alec pose with their runners up awards

All in all a very enjoyable day - with many thanks to the Milton Keynes club for such an pleasant event. - further information on Campaign and the Milton Keynes club can be found at  http://mkws.org.uk

Very little in the way of rules queries - surprising only one game actually got played to conclusion (we played 3.5 hrs plus random 3-18 mins) - very different to the results from the Challenge. 

That concludes that for the year - our presence this year should ensure that DBMM will be represented next year - and hopefully more teams will be around to challenge Pinner for the Divisional championship.

Kind Regards

David Mather

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:51:00 PM by DaveMather »

DaveMather

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
Thanks for that Dave looked like it was fun, any thoughts on why the games didn't finish on time?

See http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMMlist/message/46234

Also any idea what the lists look like, or what stratgems were used

I used the same list I used at Challenge - had almost finished painting up the 240AP 25mm version when I found out the 2 other 25mm players could not make it so had to switch to 15mm  :(

I am half way through writing a synopsis of Challenge inc how the army was structured and why - just need to finish off the battle reports (before my memory completely fades)

My stratagems were changing deployment and concealed command as Brill stroke - used neither at Campaign

did use 2 Brill strokes in each game at Campaign - all 4 being dice doubling

Alec certainly had Guide stratagem - suspect Tony scouts and/or hidden obstacles

Regards

David Mather

Sgt Steiner

Hi David

Thanks for the reports/pics

Interesting games.

Ref game length I am finding Dbmm quicker to come to a resolution (ie my army braking !) than DBM. Only the hunt through grading/combat factors slows progress  ::)

I wonder if 2 seperate ready ref sheets, one for stuff applicable in own bound the other for that in enemy bound would ease  confusion ?

Cheers