Author Topic: strathclyde 240 point army or Arthur 400 AP  (Read 6608 times)

hanleygreen

strathclyde 240 point army or Arthur 400 AP
« on: December 03, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
All the Sub Roman and Saxon lists look interesting.
Who produces the figures.
I have the MAA saxon viking norman.
Any other books I should Read?

Mike Leese

bugstomper

Re: strathclyde 240 point army or Arthur 400 AP
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
For a 15mm army I like the Splintered Light figures.  They're a bit pricey, but many poses.  I mixed these with Old Glory 15's to help mitigate the cost.  Then I added a few command stands from Khurasan Miniatures Late Roman line.  Some of their infantry would also mix well into the army, but I discovered them too late.  Then check out Alain Touller miniature Late Romans as well.  With just the SL and OG I had 36 pedyte poses with no repeats, a good irregular look.

Also read MAA Arthur and the Anglo Saxon Wars.  The Yahoo DBMM Group site also has Phil Barker's resource reading list that he used for determining what was in the army.

Have fun.

Tim Child

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
I have a lot of SRB.  :o)

Splintered Light are nice, but very big - they don't mix with other manufacturers.  However, if starting from scratch I would be tempted to use these.  As it is, I have painted up their general and similar character infantry figures for use as my Bd(O) general elements - they are massive compared to the Essex Welsh that I use as the rest of my infantry, but I think that in some ways that helps the generals' elements stand out, and looks quite effective in the context of the heroic ethos of the era!

Old Glory (OG15s) do quite a nice range, although I don't have any of these.

Outpost are really nice, but their figures suffer (IMO) from having to glue on the shields and spears separately, which is always a fiddly job.  The spears are really thin metal, so bend very easily (but luckily don't seem to break).  One day I will get around to replacing them with harder wire!

I originally did my army about a year before Cornwell started publishing his "Arthur" series, when there were hardly any SRB or Early Saxon figures on the market.  I had to make do and mend, and used Essex.  As noted above, their Welsh are fine for the spearmen (unarmoured spearmen) and dismounted companions (armoured spearmen) and the light horsemen from the same range work fine too.  Essex also do some Irish figures you can use for the Ax(O). The Essex and Outpost will mix OK, but not the Splintered Light.  Not sure about the OG15s?

All the above assumes 15mm scale.  In 25mm scale Gripping Beast, Old Glory, Outpost, and Wargames Foundry all do excellent ranges.  The GB figures are 10 years old now, but show no real signs of age.  All of them (like the Splintered Light "15mm" (allegedly) figures) tend to veer toward the hollywood version of dark age forces - war dogs and horse-skull standards etc., so it's really up to you whether you indulge yourself in this regard!   8)

I'll put up my 240AP Strathclyde list that came 2nd at Rampage last year in a post in the minute.

Cheers,

Tim Child

Tim Child

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »
As promised here's my take on the Strathclyders at 240AP, as piloted (with rather good fortune) to 2nd at last year's Rampage competition:

Based up on the battle of Bangor-is-Coed
CinC - St Constantine, King of Alt Clud
1 Irr Cv(O) CinC
2 Irr Cv(O)
1 Irr LH(I)
21 Irr Sp(I)
3 Irr Ps(I)
1 Irr Bge(F)

20ME - 5.5/7

Sub-general - Prince Neithon
1 Irr Cv(O) SG
2 Irr Cv(O)
1 Irr LH(I)
2 Irr Ax(O)
1 Irr Bge(S)

11ME - 3/4

Ally-general - Bledric of Dumnonia
1 Irr Cv(O) AG
2 Irr Cv(O)
1 Irr LH(I)
24 Irr Sp(I)
1 Irr Bge(F)

20 ME - 5.5/7

Army Baggage command
1 Irr Bge(F)
1 Irr Bge(S)

4ME - 1.5/1.5

SCOUTING stratagem

This army was used when we were in the final knockings of the DBMM v.2 drafts, when Bge(S) counted as 4ME, rather than 5.  Prince Neithon's command was therefore 12 ME and the Baggage command 5ME, which made Neithon a little more durable.  It might be tempting to convert the Irish Ax(O) into Votadini LH(O) in order to bulk up the army a little more, and maybe drop Scouting in order to pay for that?

Tim Child

hanleygreen

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »
Thanks Tim

Just what I needed.

I like to name my Leaders, it adds to the chrome.

Also the Miniatures advice.

I'm just about to cut out some thick card for bases to try out before I buy figures.

I'll do the same for a Saxon Army just to get the feel of the period.

Regards
Mike

hanleygreen

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:55:50 AM »
Are there ane problems with vat on figures from the US ?
I'll take a look at SL figures and Khurasan LR.

It seems every thing I want these days is made abroad;

but then so was Maralyn Munro :-)

LAP1964

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Are there ane problems with vat on figures from the US ?

Not so much VAT,but you might get charged inport duty?
LES

hanleygreen

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »
I think that's collected by Royal Mail.
Minimum charge ?11.00 or a charge of ?11.00 plus the tax.

Has anyone come across this?

Mike

Swampster

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »
I've imported figures from the States a few times.
If the value is small enough, you won't get charged duty or VAT. The maximum value for this is ?18.
Duty is payable if the value of the goods is over ?135 but only if the duty charged would be at least ?9.
VAT is payable if the value if over ?18. If VAT or duty is payable, then Royal Mail will also charge a fee - this is now ?8.

In other words, either get small packages or try to go for a major purchase in one go. I've ordered from OG15s when they had one of their special deals on and by ordering over $100 the reduced cost more than made up for VAT and handling cost.

See http://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/mail-advice/customs-information?campaignid=customs_redirect
and http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P35_3251

I have occasionally had a parcel arrive which hasn't had VAT charged. Some people seem to find this happens more often than others.