Author Topic: Three Kingdom Chinese Infantry Book 2, List 63  (Read 3074 times)

arnimlueck

Three Kingdom Chinese Infantry Book 2, List 63
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:03:54 AM »
I am trying to recreate the armies of Ma T'eng and Ma Chao.

First assumption from my understanding of the Chinese states: both were leader of the Shu Han State, thus all Shu Han options apply.
Is that correct?

Second issue: I want to convert some infantery to 'long spears'.
Assume we want to have 16 close-fighting foot.
Is it allowed to take: 4 rBdI, 4 upgraded rBdO, 4 rAxO, 4 upgraded rAxS and convert 3/4 of them, choosing to convert the BdI, the AxO and AxS. At the end I would have 12 rPkF and 4 rBdO. Is that legal? or how do I have to read that option?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:22:27 PM by Arnim »

Andrew_HK

Re: Three Kingdom Chinese Infantry Book 2, List 63
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:43:53 AM »
Although this was an old thread but as a Chinese I felt I ought to clarify something~
Ma T'eng and Ma Chao were independent warlord in Northwest China.
Ma T'eng was dead 10years before Shu Han regime was found.
His son Ma Chao pledge allegiance to no one for most of his live, then he was kicked out of Northwest China and served LiuBei (later Emperor of Shu Han) just few years before his death. Ma Chao was dead one year after Shu Han regime was found.

The reason for Ma T'eng and Ma Chao with PkF option was due to the writings of historical novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". CaoCao's sub-generals said that Northwest Chinese soldiers were using "long spears" and suggesting using bow and crossbow to deal with them.

I believe the Shu Han options are not applicable to sub-list of Ma T'eng/Ma Chao, and vice versa. Even Ma Chao served in Shu Han for a very short period of time, he could no longer raise an army in the Northwest by then.

Duncan Head

Re: Three Kingdom Chinese Infantry Book 2, List 63
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »
The reason for Ma T'eng and Ma Chao with PkF option was due to the writings of historical novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms". CaoCao's sub-generals said that Northwest Chinese soldiers were using "long spears" and suggesting using bow and crossbow to deal with them.

I shall follow precedent here and comment after a two-year gap...

It's not actually from the Romance; I got it from Sima Guang's Zizhi Tongjian, which is a few centuries older than the Romance and generally follows reliable sources.

But Andrew's right that the Ma's don't use Shu Han options.