Author Topic: Is DBMM still played?  (Read 3917 times)

landmeister

Is DBMM still played?
« on: January 23, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
Just curious. It has faded away in Spain and I have no idea what's happening in the outer world.  :'(

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is DBMM still played?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:56:15 PM »
Oh yes.  Indeed Lorenzo's team championships in Milan go from strength to strength - I think he has 88 people attending this year.

It's a pity to hear that it has faded out in Spain.  Has something replaced it in period, or have people drifted to different periods?  I have to admit that Phil's anti-marketing strategy is pretty woeful at letting people know it still exists.

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 11:16:07 AM »
Oh yes.  Indeed Lorenzo's team championships in Milan go from strength to strength - I think he has 88 people attending this year.
Representing half a dozen nations or so. Unfortunately no Swedes, as we were unable to get together a team due to various peoples' prior commitments.

landmeister

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 11:17:38 AM »

It's a pity to hear that it has faded out in Spain.  Has something replaced it in period, or have people drifted to different periods?  I have to admit that Phil's anti-marketing strategy is pretty woeful at letting people know it still exists.

I have to say that DBMM was never a true DBM replacement here. FoG was the standard for a few years but it faded away the same way. Now only DBA is played on a permanent basis (but not as widely as DBM or FoG) and a new kid is on the block called Art of War, a French version of DBMM. Personally I don't think it will last long in Spain, but who knows...

lorricount

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
Yes, it is still played in Hong Kong by the serious Wargamers.

IMHO, it is a set of rules preferred by the hard-core wargamers. 

Why the Hong Kong DBMM Boys are still playing DBMM after we have played it for more than 8 years? 
I have played more than 80 DBMM games every year but still find each game totally different from the DBMM games that I have played before.

Several Hong Kong DBMM players even have more than 50 DBMM armies.

We have tried FoG and some of us have played Warhammer Fantasy Battle before we focused on DBMM.

IMHO, FoG, like the current edition of WFB, are easier to learn to play but tend to give you steriotyped gaming experiences.  Sooner or later, you will find the game highly resembling one of the games that you have played a few weeks before.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:55:31 AM by lorricount »

Megas Domestikos

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »
David, thank you for acknowledging our independence from Spain, but I don't know if all mallorcans will agree!  ;)

In this insular spanish possession in the Western Mediterranean (sometimes called Mallorca), we still fight in our DMMM traditional style. You can see the start of our DBMM Magister Militum Balearicus League in the following link:

http://despertaferro.superforo.net/t767-lliga-mmb-2015

And what about the rebirth of your Peninsular community next July?

landmeister

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:35 PM »
Dear Miquel,

I know it's a question of time that you'll become finally free from the Spanish yoke  ;D ;). Meanwhile. I'm very happy to see that your DBMM community is very active. Never surrender!  ::)