Author Topic: Galatians v Mongol Conquest  (Read 811 times)

Barritus

• Kn(S)
    • View Profile
Galatians v Mongol Conquest
« on: March 04, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
My Galatians (of the Wb (O) persuasion) faced Jon's Mongols. I went for a double flank march (Galatian and Pisidian commands), with the two on-board commands already outnumbering Jon's entire army.

The terrain was almost perfect for me - difficult terrain at one end of Jon's deployment zone for the Pisidians to advance into, and rough at the other end for the Wb to take, and my flanks well enough covered that the Mongols would be discouraged from flank marching.

I advanced quickly enough to slow down Jon's attempt to get LH around my left flank - some made it, but only just, as my Galatian flank march arrived on that side to occupy their attention.

In the centre the Mongol Hd (I) fought like demons against charging Wb, for the mortifying result of three draws and a recoil on the Wb at first contact! But after that the Wb had the numbers to maintain a steady stream of repulses on the Mongol LH, and a gradually increasing number of spent results as the overlaps built up.

Jon was only able to get his Cv (S) from the centre to the edge of the rough on his right flank when the flank marching Wb arrived, and by the time the Wb attacked the Cv (S), I had some Cv coming through from the on-board command to hit the flank of the Cv (S) too.

Meanwhile the flank marching Galatian Cv and chariots charged into some of the Mongol LH who'd got around my flank, and knocked over a few of them.

Eventually the Mongol right wing collapsed, and the transmitted result plus a massive number of spent results was enough to break the Mongol left flank command. Galatian losses were quite a few Wb (particularly from my right wing command facing Cv (O)), along with some Cv from the left wing and the Galatian flank march. The Pisidian ally rolled to arrive in the final bound of the game.

Thanks to Jon for a game which was probably a bit more amusing for me than for him (apart from the Hd debacle).