Author Topic: Moving into Close Combat  (Read 1668 times)

Marcel Bos

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
Moving into Close Combat
« on: April 27, 2021, 12:40:56 PM »
See attachment.

Ax A moves into Close Combat with Wb V.
Ax A tries to line-up with Wb V, but is obstructed by enemy Wb W.
Therefore Wb V has to line-up with Ax A,but is obstructed by Ax B (partially in front of Ax A)
So, Wb W has to be moved out of the way, so Ax A can definitively line up with Wb V.
Is this the right way to play?

LawrenceG1

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
Re: Moving into Close Combat
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 07:01:07 PM »
Yes.

Marcel Bos

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 01:56:13 PM »
Thanks again Lawrence.

I probably understand the rules now, but unfortunately it doesn't always make sense to me.
Just an example:

LH A/B/C move in CC with Ps V/W/X (picture A)
Only Ps W wins (not doubles) his combat, LH B is Repulsed (picture B)
Next Ps W assists Ps V with a flankcontact on LH A (picture C), but Ps V loses (not doubled) (picture D)

LH B can't go anymore in CC with Ps W again, because of the TZ of Ps X.
This, for example, looks strange to me, by pivotting Ps W it will be 'save' for any flank attack.
By the way, if Ps V had won the combat LH B could go certainly in CC with Ps W.

These where just some thougts.
I will just follow the rules correctly from now on.

LawrenceG1

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 04:12:40 PM »
This is a known situation that arises sometimes and which the rules do not handle very well. By the rules as written you cannot contact the flank in this case.

What you can do is contact the front, but it can get messy and is not always possible.

Another option is to move B forward so it TZs W and half a base to the right so it will be correctly lined up if it moves straight ahead on its next move. On its next move it can then use item (c) from:

Move straight forward either (a) a full tactical move without contacting enemy, or (b) into contact with
an enemy front edge or front corner only, or (c) moving directly towards the enemy exerting the TZ.

(in the Threat Zone section) to contact the flank (if W hasn't moved by then).

This isn't very satisfactory, so you could consider adopting a "house rule" or "playing convention" that allows the flank contact.

Marcel Bos

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 10:15:32 AM »
Lawrence, it took me a week to think about your comment ;)
I sure would like to know which intentions Phil had when he made those 'moving into flank edge combat' rules.

In my vision, in this case, the defensive influence of an element reach out far beyond the borders of his TZ.
This is in contradiction of Phils own rule that it is an absolute requirement to move in real life combat.

As a houserule I would also allow full edge contact if both:
a) the attacking element moved only straight ahead this turn
b) to line-up in corner to corner contact would hypothetical cross the left or right border of an enemy TZ

I just have to try it out in my next (after Corona) battles  ;D

LawrenceG1

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 01:44:21 PM »
I like the way you are thinking, although I suspect you will find some cases where you can make contact that probably shouldn't be allowed when the element providing the TZ is at an angle.

I think you might need something like:

a) the attacking element moved only straight ahead this turn
b) When it lines up, the attacking element cannot exit any TZ
c) After lining up, all TZing enemy must be (at least partly) directly in front of the attacking element

Marcel Bos

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 08:03:16 PM »
Very nice that you help to to make up my mind.

In my last example LH B moves straight ahead in full flank-edge contact with Ps W.
In my proposal this full contact is allowed because a line-up in corner-to-corner contact would hypothetical cross the right border of the TZ of Ps X.
Of course a real line-up into the TZ is not allowed, so the line-up stops at reaching te TZ.

I suspect you will find some cases where you can make contact that probably shouldn't be allowed when the element providing the TZ is at an angle.
If have tried to incorparate this automatically in my proposal.

If the element providing the TZ (Ps X) would be pointing at the moving element (LH B), the moving element is most probably moving through the TZ.
By the TZ-rules you may not move through a TZ into flank edge contact.
If not moving through the TZ the line-up will probably cross the front (not left or right) border of the TZ-ing element.
By official rules and my proposed houserules this is also not allowed.
In both cases the move isn't allowed.

If the element providing the TZ (Ps X) would be pointing away from the moving element (LH B) the line-up will stop at the left or right border of the TZ.

But maybe I miss something...  ;)

LawrenceG1

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 09:27:32 AM »
What about this example?

Marcel Bos

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 03:31:39 PM »
A great example!

In this case Ps would move straight ahead contacting LH on its flank.
It is possible because it stays outside the TZ of the other LH.
Thereafter Ps will line-up in full flank edge contact until its right rearcorner reaches the right border of the TZ, where it stops before entering the TZ.
This would be a (proposed) legal contact.

On the other hand, would the right rearcorner of Ps reach the TZ before it made full contact with the flanke edge the move shouldn't be allowed.

If you don't want to allow this specific movement to be possible the houserule could change allowing full flank edge contact if both:
a) the attacking element moved only straight ahead this turn contacting the enemy immediatly in full flank edge contact
b) to line-up in corner to corner contact would hypothetical cross the left or right border of an enemy TZ

This also prevents attacking the flank from an angle.

LawrenceG1

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 08:11:35 PM »
This could mean an element that is further behind the flank could not do a flank attack while an element more towards the front can do a flank attack.

Is that what you want?

Marcel Bos

• Bd(O)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 10:31:41 AM »
This could mean an element that is further behind the flank could not do a flank attack while an element more towards the front can do a flank attack.

You understand it correctly, but It is a choice… after all it is a houserule.

My original proposed houserule makes it possible to line-up in flank edge contact, when moving only straight ahead this turn, until reaching the enemy-TZ, allowing a full flank edge contact instead of a corner-to-corner contact.

If this line-up would reach the front border of the TZ it would be, at 80p, subject to the TZ, so not allowed. However this doesn’t apply to the left or right border of the TZ.

Players can argue that this houserule should only apply when, as in my latest example, the flank isn’t at an angle (other than 90°) from and completely in front of the moving element. In that case your example wouldn’t be allowed. My adjusted houserule should prevents other circumstances.

This isn't very satisfactory, so you could consider adopting a "house rule" or "playing convention" that allows the flank contact.

By the way, my preference is for my original houserule, in which case your example would be allowed, but I really like to know if you would give one of my houserules a try, and in that case, which houserule you prefer.