Author Topic: Later Crusaders BowsX  (Read 5873 times)

captain_crusader

Later Crusaders BowsX
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:04:10 AM »
I am in the process of extending my later crusaders to include the Bows X option, just wondering what the thinking was behind them being the only army with single based Bows X rather than the usual bows O/I/S behind BowsX on a double base ?....or at least the only one I have noticed....

....Just thought I would mention it in case it was likely to change in the revised Book 4 (whenever that happens) I would hate to have to re-base all those bows X if they switched to double-based...........also do irregular bows X have three figures to a base if single based ? they look better with four (2 spear and 2 bow figures)....?

Barritus

Re: Later Crusaders BowsX
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:19:23 PM »
I am in the process of extending my later crusaders to include the Bows X option, just wondering what the thinking was behind them being the only army with single based Bows X rather than the usual bows O/I/S behind BowsX on a double base ?....or at least the only one I have noticed....

They're not the only army with single-based Bw (X). The Early Tang Chinese can get them in the already-released DBMM Book 3. I think the Ming Chinese can get them in DBM Book 4.

The thinking behind it is that these were particularly shallow formations on the occasions where they're described. The double-based Byzantine Bw (X/O) are based on formations which we know were in 7 ranks of archers and spearmen, while IIRC the Later Crusader infantry were only in about 3 ranks.

....Just thought I would mention it in case it was likely to change in the revised Book 4 (whenever that happens) I would hate to have to re-base all those bows X if they switched to double-based...........also do irregular bows X have three figures to a base if single based ? they look better with four (2 spear and 2 bow figures)....?

Sadly, we can't make any predictions about what might be in unpublished list books. We know from experience that the rules themselves were changed only days before publication, so I wouldn't make any basing decisions until I actually had the book in my hot little hands.

As for depiction, the rules do say three figures per base for irregular Bow. And if I remember the story of the mixed crossbow/spear formations in the Later Crusader army, there was one spearman for every two crossbowmen, so that sort of ratio would be reasonable on the bases. Having said that, there are sometimes aesthetic reasons to depart from the basing rules. But if you do so, it's your responsibility to make sure your opponent knows what you've done - the rules say that figures should accurately represent the troops in the army. If you put four figures on each base and say nothing, your opponent may assume they're regular, and make decisions on that basis, which is unfair to him.

captain_crusader

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »
Thanks, that's cleared things up !

I will see how they look however will probably opt for 4 to a base as I've bought the figures...as I only play amongst friends I am sure they won't mind if I am careful to explain they are irregular !

If on the outside chance the rules do change them to double based (although that sounds unlikely) I can always double up my already existing spears+bows....

Barritus

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
Thanks, that's cleared things up !

No worries.

I will see how they look however will probably opt for 4 to a base as I've bought the figures...as I only play amongst friends I am sure they won't mind if I am careful to explain they are irregular !

Cool.

If on the outside chance the rules do change them to double based (although that sounds unlikely) I can always double up my already existing spears+bows....

How do you base your figures? I try to base everything on magnetic laminate. In that case, it's easy to pair elements up using a metal sabot.

captain_crusader

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
Yes I have experimented with magnetic stuff for some of my figures....I have also found some old plastic covered business cards that make ideal bases !

toby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:46:33 PM »
I would say its highly unlikely that they will ever go to being double based. I always assumed it was probably something to do with the trajectory of a crossbow bolt not lending itself to overhead shooting.

Toby

Swampster

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 09:48:28 PM »
I would say its highly unlikely that they will ever go to being double based. I always assumed it was probably something to do with the trajectory of a crossbow bolt not lending itself to overhead shooting.

Toby

That wouldn't be it. Communal Italian Bw(X), for example, are DBE and are crossbows.

PK

captain_crusader

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »
Have just read the DBM list and it states 2 Xb figures to 1 spearmen..........however (having used some of the figures I bought for some other bases !) I have decided to alternate numbers on each base, 1 xb/2sp, 2xb/1sp......