Author Topic: Book 3 errata  (Read 14358 times)

LAP1964

Re: Book 3 errata
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »
 2 more from checking lists for Rollcall.
1) Why are the Hindu Indians allowed Hephthalite allies untill 600 AD,when in the Hun list from Bk 2 they end at 570 AD ?
2) In the Dailami list should Irr Gens be allowed to command Reg Dailami infantry ?
LES   

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
According to the final line of notes in 3/20, "Silla Korean allies cannot be used with southern tribesmen, Turks, Mo-ho, or any other allies."

The only "Turks" in the list are 0-6 "Turkish and other nomad horse archers - Irr LH (S) @ 6AP". Now, does that "and" mean all elements from this line must be considered to include Turks, or can one claim one' s particular nomad horse archers belong to other ethnicities and thus can still be used with Silla allies?

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »
Tom Adamson suggested that, on historical grounds, no nomad horse archers ought be allowed with Silla allies.

Barritus

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 01:55:10 AM »
Middle Anglo-Saxon: Before 937 you're allowed a Wb (S) ally-general of the same nation. From 700, the C-in-C, subs and Hird must be upgraded from Wb (S) to Sp (O), but no mention is made of the ally-general. Presumably he should be regraded as well.

william

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 11:51:13 PM »
 ;D Hi Peter,

I think the line says

'Change Wb to Irr Sp(O) @ 14 AP if C-in-C or Sub-general, 9AP if ally-general, otherwise 4 AP                                                                All

Barritus

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »
;D Hi Peter,

I think the line says

'Change Wb to Irr Sp(O) @ 14 AP if C-in-C or Sub-general, 9AP if ally-general, otherwise 4 AP                                                                All

No, I think you're wrong - there's no red glow in my...

Oh.

Yes.

:-[

Barritus

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »
List 65 - Nikephorian Byzantines: The notes say:
Lombards cannot be used with Klibanophoroi or Rus.

Why are the Klibanophoroi mentioned? The list itself rules out the possibility of the Lombards and Klibanophoroi being used together, as the Lombards can only be used in Italy, while the Klibanophoroi can only be used in Anatolia or Thrace.

Barritus

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
List 11 - Central Asian Turkish: The last sentence of the notes reads:
Uighurs cannot be used with Sogdians.

What's it supposed to mean?

It doesn't mean "Uighurs can't use Sogdian allies" as Uighurs aren't listed among those who can take Sogdian allies.

The only possible meaning I can deduce is that if you take a CAT army, you're allowed up to 2 CAT allied contingents, and presumably one of these could be Uighur, and if you take that Uighur ally then you can't have Sogdians as your other ally. The problem with that theory is that Sogdian allies are available in 741 at the latest, while Uighurs aren't available until 860 at the earliest.

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
List 11 - Central Asian Turkish: The last sentence of the notes reads:
Uighurs cannot be used with Sogdians.

What's it supposed to mean?

It doesn't mean "Uighurs can't use Sogdian allies" as Uighurs aren't listed among those who can take Sogdian allies.

The only possible meaning I can deduce is that if you take a CAT army, you're allowed up to 2 CAT allied contingents, and presumably one of these could be Uighur, and if you take that Uighur ally then you can't have Sogdians as your other ally. The problem with that theory is that Sogdian allies are available in 741 at the latest, while Uighurs aren't available until 860 at the earliest.
I suspect it's a fossil from an earlier version with less stringent date limits. However, to be pedantic, Uighurs are available straight from the start of the list, it's just they don't get any special options or restrictions until AD 860.

william

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »
 ;) Hi lads, I think it is a misprint, I think Sogdians and Utigurs (as in Utigur huns) should not be able to combine in a Gok Turk OOB.

William

Barritus

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 02:20:10 AM »
Good points, both.

Thanks guys.

Barritus

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 02:29:27 AM »
List 14 (Early Bulgar): In 812 the Bulgars can have Avar allies, who are limited to 24 elements. The problem is that in 812 the maximum number of Avar elements available to form an allied command is 13 - a general and 4-12 Avar noble Cv (S). I'm guessing there's some assumption about Slav foot being included, but they're not available to Avars after 631.

Orcoteuthis

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 05:51:10 AM »
In the Early Samurai Japanese (3/55) list, before 1020 all Ax, Ps, Bw, and Bd are compulsorily regraded to Irr Bw (O) unless double-based behind cavalry.

As written, this applies not only to the "normal" infantry in the list, but also to the ladies and boys guarding baggage and to Sohei allies. Acc'd to Duncan, it probably shouldn't apply to the former, and the later shouldn't be available before 1020 in the first place.

Barritus

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »
In the Papal Italian list, Pope Leo can be downgraded to Inert in 1053. Seeing as he's Pope and (a) not a lay papal gonfalonier and (b) no Popes are noted as fighting, even those who dressed a knights, should he be required to be Reg Bge (S)?

Doug M.

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 06:15:44 AM »
III/79 Early Russian

the list dates are: 1054 - 1246,  but the list includes..

Only after 1265
German Mercenary Knights

yours..  puzzled of Canberra